The Teacher’s 10
I will treat every student the way I would want my own child to be
* Reflect: Do you praise and punish every child in your class as if
he or she was your own?
* Action: Pretend that everything you do or don’t do
for a student will be done or not done for your child.
I will focus on
“who” I teach, not just “what” I teach.
* Reflect: Do
you care more about your students succeeding in school or succeeding in life?
Action: Impress your students by how much you care, not by how much you know.
I will only teach that which I truly believe in.
* Reflect: Have you bought into what you’re selling your students?
Action: Show your students personal evidence of your message in action.
I will treat every student as if he/she is already the person he/she is capable of
* Reflect: Do you believe more in the potential or the problem of
* Action: Label each of your students a “10”, and watch
them live up to their greatness.
I will raise my standards of teaching
by never lowering my expectations of students.
* Reflect: Are you teaching to
please or prepare your students?
* Action: Expect more from your students until
they reflect what you expect.
I will always give my students a little
more than what they need to succeed.
* Reflect: Are you giving your students
ALL you’ve got…and then some?
* Action: Be courageous and go the extra
mile for your students.
I will teach as if every day was my
* Reflect: How would you teach today if you knew you were going to die
* Action: PLAN your lessons as if you’re going to teach forever,
but TEACH your lessons as if you’re going to die tomorrow (with passion and
I will practice what I teach.
* Reflect: Are
you teaching by example or excuses?
* Action: Model the kind of character you would
like to see in your students.
I will be the kind of teacher my favorite
teacher would be proud of.
* Reflect: Would the greatest teacher in your past
be proud of the teacher you are today?
* Action: Remind yourself daily of the debt
you owe those who’ve gone before you.
I will strive to be an
* Reflect: Are you leaving footprints on the hearts of
* Action: Do something positive this year that will leave a lifetime
impression on your students.
Joe Martin is an award-winning national speaker, author,
professor, and educational consultant. His mission is to help students,
teachers, and administrators learn, lead, and live with purpose and passion. To
find out more visit his web site at https://www.NewTeacherUniversity.com.
Previous teacher article:
Next teacher article:
|| Teaching Tips
|| Stress-less Strategies
We will never use your email for any other reason than to contact you about developments pertaining to the site. We don't sell or distribute email addresses to anyone for any reason.